A Maruti
Suzuki car honked relentlessly. I looked back and gestured as if asking the driver
to wait. I turned and and asked the person riding the cycle rickshaw to go
ahead. He moved on. I was still mad at the car driver, and told the man riding
the rickshaw, “You should show some attitude to these car drivers who don’t
care for other people on the road.” He smirked, as if he’s been there and done
that. He replied, “Madam, there’s no use trying to confront these car drivers.
For them, we are like crap...we ride cycle rickshaws na! We are poor people and
rent out these cycle rickshaws. If we say something to these rich people, some
won’t hesitate to cause damage to our rickshaws.” I said, “No, they won’t do
anything. Forget you’re poor. The road belongs to everyone.” He laughed, “Not
everyone thinks like you, madam. There’s no izzat
for people like us. We eat and sleep on the roadside pavement.”
He
continued, “All day, we ride cycle rickshaws, eat 2-3 samosas, and at night, we
sleep near the metro pillars.” I asked, “How much do you earn in a day?”He
shrugged his shoulders, saying “Around 200! But, I have to send money home.”
Having heard about daily wage labourers, I asked about his village, expecting
it to be Bihar. But, I was proved wrong when he said he was from Aligarh, Uttar
Pradesh. He continued, “I came here, thinking I will do some work and take care
of my family back home. But, the amount I earn is not enough to build a roof
over me. So, I decided to stay on the pavement and ensure my family back home
sleeps with full stomachs.” I couldn’t help saying, “Men of the house tend to
sacrifice so much for the comfort of their family.” He nodded, “Yes! Yes! But,
is anyone concerned about us? The only times I get good food is when some good
people set up tents and give us rice and pulses.” He continued, “Once, I sent
money through a man who stayed in our village. When he reached our place, he
had spent half of the money on liquor. I couldn’t do anything about it. I kept
quiet because his sister is married to the Sarpanch’s son. He can take revenge
against my family.”
I
understood his sense of fear and lack of self-confidence. As if he understood
what I was thinking, he exclaimed, “I am scared of these rich people. We are
poor. For us, it is important to be able to have food every day.” As we were
reaching the metro station, he asked, “Why did you ask me so much about my
story? Paper mein kaam karte ho kya?”
I said, “No, I am just out of college. But, I hope to write on your story.” He
giggled, “Then, maybe you could name it as ‘Hum
Gareeb Hai’” I got down, paid him and said, “Of course! This is the first
time someone has suggested me the heading.” He smiled, got another passenger
and went off.

No comments:
Post a Comment